Our Fleet

Port Stephens Ferry Service run three vessels, with two being historic wooden ferries that have been in operation since the mid 1900's. Learn more about their rich history & view the old photos below!

 

MV JESSE
Built in Victoria in the 1950s as “Bluebird” (along with sister “Bluebell”) for use on Lakes Entrance. Jesse is constructed of Huon Pine and is one of only two well deckers still operating in a traditional ferry role in New South Wales. She is capable of carrying 72 passengers.


MV Jesse, Port Stephens Ferry Service Nelson Bay

MV Jesse, Port Stephens Ferry Service, Nelson Bay, Tea Gardens, Hawks Nest

MV Jesse aka MV Bluebird, Lakes Entrance NSW 1950

MV Jesse (as Bluebird) @ Lakes Entrance (courtesy Graeme Andrews) circa 1950

MV Jesse aka MV Bluebird, Lakes Entrance 1955

Jesse (as Bluebird) @ Lakes Entrance (courtesy Graeme Andrews) circa 1965

MV Jesse aka MV Bluebird, Lakes Entrance NSW

Jesse (as Bluebird) @ Lakes Entrance (courtesy Graeme Andrews) circa 1955


MV TEA GARDENS
MV Tea Gardens has a long and colorful history. Originally built as a bomb scow for the RAAF during World War II, she was converted to a ferry at Putney in 1945, along with sister vessels Challenger Head & Edith Walker. In 1948 she was sold to the Hawkesbury River Tourist Services, where she ran for many years. The Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company then purchased her for use on their Pittwater service. In 1970 she was sold to Palm Beach and Bobbin Head Ferries, before returning to the Manly company in mid 1974. In 1980 she was renamed Melissa and put into service for the Palm Beach Ferry Service, servicing the Basin, Currawong and Great Mackeral Beach area. She was then sold to Port Stephens Ferry Service, and today runs between Nelson Bay, Hawks Nest and Tea Gardens. She carries 150 passengers.


MV Tea Gardens, Nelson Bay, Port Stephens Ferry Service

MV Tea Gardens, Nelson Bay

TG as Hawkesbury, Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

TG as Hawkesbury, Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

In the days of the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

In the days of the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

Hawkesbury running the Palm Beach service, The Basin (courtesy R. King)

Hawkesbury running the Palm Beach service, The Basin (courtesy R. King)

From the days of the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

From the days of the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (courtesy R. King)

Tea Gardens (as Hawkesbury) in 1970 (courtesy Graeme Andrews)

Tea Gardens (as Hawkesbury) in 1970 (courtesy Graeme Andrews)


 

MV SIMBA II
Simba II is a 12 metre cruise boat, licensed to carry 70 passengers, with upper and lower decks for panoramic viewing of the magnificent scenery and enjoying the magic of the dolphins swimming around Simba. Simba II is available for exclusive charter for every kind of function or social occasion, cruising to the destination of your choice; Moffatts Oyster Barn, Karuah, Port Stephens, Myall River, Tea Gardens or the Myall Lakes. Catering is available with special rates for groups.

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay

MV Simba II, Daily Dolphin Cruises - Nelson Bay